Part II Structure [15 minutes]
Directions: This part is to test your ability to construct grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: "In this section, there are 10 incomplete sentences. You are required to complete each one by deciding on the most appropriate word or words from the 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. She stayed at home during the whole summer vacation__ she could look after her old grand-mother.
A. in case
B. now that
C. so that
D. as though
17. She does not know ___ for her first job interview.
A. what should she wear
B. what to be wore
C. what to wear
D. what will she wear
18. He the train if he hadn’t been stuck in traffic jam on the way to the railway station.
A. couldn’t miss
B. wouldn’t have missed
C. mustn’t have missed
D. shouldn’t miss
19. It was not until dark it was time to return home.
A. that he realized
B. that did he realize
C. when he realized
D. when did he realize
20. Some animals ____ well enough in that country.
A. have not protected
B. is not being protected
C. are not being protected
D. are not protecting
21. When you read books, you had better make marks __ you have questions.
B. in where
C. at which
22. Mr. Yang for his famous invention, was invited to give a lecture in the technical university.
A. was known
C. was knowing
23. The population of India is much larger than __ of Sweden.
24. After final examination, college students who have left their homes, for a long time look forward to _____ as soon as possible.
A. be going home
B. go home
C. be gone
D. going home
25. The designer himself is not sure whether this software is appropriate __ children under 12 years old.
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
26. I would like to have my car (repair) _____, since I can not do it myself.
27. He told me that the middle-aged man (wear) _____ glasses was the new president of our university.
28. To his (disappoint) _____he didn’t pass the exam in spite of-his great efforts.
29. She sat next to him at dinner that night and engaged him in a (live) __ discussion of job hunting.
30. Upon graduation from college, she did not (intention) _____ to go to graduate school; in-stead, she just wanted to get a job to support her poor family.
31. A theory often revolves an imaginary model that helps scientists picture the way an observed event could (produce) _____
32. Susan is the most (experience) ____ teacher in the school.
33. If the doctor (come) _____earlier last night, Nina would be alive today.
34. As the old saying goes: "There is no use (cry) _____ over spilt milk."
35. I would have remained in (ignore) _____ if Mathew hadn’t, explained it to me.