Part II Structure [15 minutes] Directions: This part is to test your ability to construct grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: In this section, there are 10 incomplete sentences. You are required to complete each one by deciding on the most appropriate word or words from the 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center,
16. He said he _____traveling with his family after the entrance examination.
A, will consider
C. has considered
D. would consider
17. Though her parents dislike the young man. they can not prevent their daughter _____mar-tying him.
18. So little _____about China that he could not find Beijing in the world map.
A. the foreigner knew
B. did the foreigner know
C. the foreigner has known
D. has the foreigner known
19. Though eight years have passed, I still remember ______to Mr. Ma during my visit there.
B. being introduced
C. to be introduced
20. The President of Harvard pioneered the elective system by_____ students were able to choose their own courses of study.
21. Twenty-four members took part in the debate, most of them making speeches _____to the chairman.
A. to oppose
B. be oppose
22. She is_____ far the most active member in our group.
23. The professor requests that we ______the term papers by the end of this month.
A. hand in
B. will have handed in
C. to hand in
D. will hand in
24. Michael failed the exam. He _____ have spent so much time playing computer games and chat-ting online.
25. His mother asks him to do morning exercises, but he is not used to_____ early in the morning.
A. get up
B. getting up
C. be gotten up
D. being gotten up
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write. the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.26. It is becoming the third (large) __ industrial city in the province.
27. The (early) __ you start, the sooner you will be back.
28. The article was obviously (lead) __, and the newspaper has apologized for it.
29. Because of its (prefer) __ for lower temperatures, this is an ideal plant for the garden pool.30. There has been little research considering early retirement among women and its (society) __ meaning.
31. (Encourage) __ by the high marks of the examination, he studied even harder than before.
32. He showed Carrie around in his laboratory to (satisfaction) __ her curiosity.33. The ship along with all the goods (be) __ destroyed last week.
34. Weather (permit) __, we will go hiking the day after tomorrow.
35. The (pleased) __of having a vote is that one can exercise his own opinion.