Part II Structure [15 minutes]
Directions: This part is to test your ability to construct grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: In this section, there are 10 incomplete sentences. You are required to complete each one by deciding on the most appropriate word or words from the 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16, The professor requests that we ____ the term papers by the end of this month.
A. will hand in
B. will have handed in
C. to hand in
D. hand in
17. From this library we can borrow ___ many books as we want to read.
18. Very little ____ they had made an important discovery in science
A. they realized B. they realized what
C. did they realize
D. did they realize what
19. The DNA test, together with other tests, ____ the prisoner’s innocence.
D. have proved
20. Where would" you rather___ your winter vacation, Sanya or Xiamen?
D. to spend
21. The American Red Cross is one of the volunteer organizations___ purpose is to help the sick and the needy.
22. It is natural that one’s attitude __ his family changes as he grows older.
23. I’ll tell you the secret, but __ you don’t tell anyone else about it.
A. only if
B. if only
C. even if
D. if not
24. Not knowing what to do next, ___ his tutor for advice.
A. will he go to
B. he is going to
C. did he go to
D. he went to
25. __ adequate preparations, we might have succeeded.
A. Would we make
B. Had we made
C. If we are to make
D. If we were making
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
26. Believe it or not, my situation is even (bad) ____ than yours.
27. It is (possible) __ to finish the difficult task in such a short period of time, so I will have to give up.
28. Since your car needs (clean), you’d better do it right now.29. Sometimes she wishes she (be) __ a free bird in the sky.
30. Their most (value) __ belongings were locked in a safe in the bedroom.
31. This old coat (design).__ for use in the rain only, but I wore it to keep warm.32. She admitted that she (drive) her father’s car without his permission.
33. Eighteen of the thirty respondents said they would welcome training in (science) methods and principles.
34. She can’t help (cry) ___ at such a touching movie.
35. Suddenly there appeared a young woman (dress) __ in pink.