Part II Structure [15 minutes]
Directions: This part is to test your ability to construct grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: In this section, there are 10 incomplete sentences. You are required to complete each one by deciding on the most appropriate word or words from the 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. At the party, everybody congratulated the scientist __ winning the award after his years of hard work.
17. The old woman burst into tears at the bad news __ her son had been killed by the enemy.
18. She said she __ many good friends since she came to this city.
A. has made
C. had made
19. Since we have never been here before, we do not know which bus __
A. should we take
B. to be taking
C. to take
D. should take
20. He could repair the car himself but he would rather his son __ it.
B. to do
D. has done
21. Since nobody is answering the phone, they __
A. should have left
B. must have left
C. need have left
D. can have left
22. Mr. Brown did not tell us __ or not he’ll be leaving next week.
23. Unexpectedly, he __ at her birthday party. All of us thought he wouldn’t come.
A. turned up
B. turned down
C. turned in
D. turned out
24. Not until the bell had rung __ the classroom in a hurry.
A. he came into
B. did he come into
C. he has come into
D. has he come into
25. A group of youngsters sat under the big tree __
A. chatting and laughing
B. chatted and laughed
C. was chatting and laughing
D. was chatted and laughed
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
26. The problem is too difficult for me (solve) __
27. I’m sure he didn’t know (exact) __ what he was doing while the accident took place.
28. Every single car (build) __ by hand at the company’s headquarters near Turin.
29. The commander ordered that we (withdraw) __ as soon as possible.
30. The surgeon performs at least two (operate) __ each day.
31. Generally (speak) __, I prefer Chinese food to western food.
32. Eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables will help you to stay (health) __
33. Ritte was a very complex man but. Peter was the (oppose) __, a simple farmer.
34. Although his .major is biology, his interest is in (apply) __ physics.
35. The wolf was once the (widely) __ distributed kind of mammal in the world.