Part II Structure [15 minutes]
Directions: This part is to test your ability to construct grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: In this section, there are 10 incomplete sentences. You are required to complete each one by deciding on the most appropriate word or words from the 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. Professor Liu __ for 20 years by the end of next summer.
A. has taught
B. will be teaching
C. has been teaching
D. will have taught
17. Never________ seen so many people cooperating in such an event.
A. is the world
B. has the world
C. the world is
D. the world has,
18. The leaders met to discuss the problems facing their __ countries.
19. The prisoner __ this way, for here are his footprints.
A. should have escaped
B. should escape
C. must have escaped
D. must escape
20. It is important that she __ in an appropriate position.
B. be placing
D. be placed
21. Those naughty boys were caught __ in the river again.
A. to fish
D. having fished
22. She has made it clear __ she will not take part in parties of any kind recently.
23. I will have finished in the bathroom_____ a few minutes.
24. She found the job very tough. ____ she stayed at the company and was finally promoted.
25. This is the only part of the country_______ this type of pottery can be found.
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
26. If their marketing team (success) _______, they will increase their profits by 20 percent.
27. The idea that the countryside is (peace) ______ is not always true.
28. People who (residence) _______ inside the city make up 60 percent of the population.
29. (Give) _______ better attention in the cold weather, those animals could have avoided death.30. The BBC sent a (report) _______ to cover the event for their late-night news program.
31. The climate is gradually becoming (dry) __ and warmer.
32. The Curies are best known for their (discover) _______ of radium.
33. If your call is not answered within two minutes, you (advise) ________ to hang up and dial again.
34. I don’t think it worthwhile (spend) _______ tens of thousands of dollars on the furniture.35. Companies need to take (action) _________steps to increase exports.