One of the biggest mistakes you can make in your career is not understanding that there are certain codes and rules to abide by in the workplace. If you're not careful, you may even lose opportunities because others are put off by your lack of professionalism. To get a better idea of the office etiquette you should be aware of the following tips:
1. Don't interrupt your colleagues. Not only is it disrespectful but it's a sign of “poor social skills”.
2. Pull the plug on office chatter. It's okay to bond with your colleagues but when they're walking with you to continue the conversation that's when you know it's too much.
3. Don't be loud. It's not just rude, it's intrusive. Keep quiet and you won't invade other people's personal space.
4. Don't eat smelly food. It can be very offensive to a coworker, so save the smelly Tuna or bag of buttery popcorn for your down time at home.
5. Don't use slang or text-speak. An email should be handled as a formal letter. And don't forget, emails can be kept on a company's record for years.
6. Office attire should stay on the conservative side. It's best to be traditional. Still, not all offices are the same so think about who you're meeting with and then plan your wardrobe accordingly.