1. life expectancy 预期寿命,平均寿命
2. get out of hand 失控
3. be fed up with 感到厌烦;讨厌;对……感到厌烦;厌烦
sb. is unfamiliar with sth.
sth. is unfamiliar to sb.
5. come down with sth. 生病
6. boil down to sth. 归结为
7. frown on sth. 不悦;蹙眉不悦;对……不赞成;不赞成某事
8. do nothing but do 固定用法
9. in honor of sb./sth. 纪念某人/某事
10. There’s no point in doing sth. 做某事无意义
11. nothing but 只有;只不过 anything but 根本不;除…以外任何事
12. rarely, seldom, hardly, scarcely
People rarely ask questions.
She was seldom seen in public.
I hardly had time to ask her name.
We had scarcely arrived when he asked us to leave.
1. Advances in medicine have resulted in ________.
A. a longer living expectancy B. an increase in life expectancy
C. an increase in living D. more years for everyone
2. The fire department had to be summoned after the bush fire on the corner lot got out of ________.
A. turn B. the question C. hand D. sight
3. I am ________ your temper.
A. fed up by B. fed up with C. fed up because of D. fed up to
4. This kind of work is ________ me.
A. unfamiliar with B. unfamiliar by