A true apology is more than just acknowledgement （承认） of a mistake. It’s recognition that something you’ve said or 1 has damaged a relationship-and that you 2 enough about that relationship to want it 3 .
It’s never 4 to acknowledge you are in the wrong. Being human, we all need the art of apology. Look back and think how 5 you’ve judged roughly （草率）， said 6 things, pushed yourself 7 at the expense （在使某人受损的情况下） of a friend. Some deep thought in us know that when 8 a small mistake has been made, your 9 will stay out of balance until the mistake is acknowledged and your regret is 10 .
I remember a doctor friend, 11 me about a man who came to him with 12 illnesses: headache, insomnia （失眠）， stomachaches and so on. No physical 13 could be found. Finally the doctor said to the man, “ 14 you tell me what’s on your conscience （良心）， I can’t help you.”
After a short silence, the man told the doctor that he 15 all the money that his father gave to his brother, who was 16 . His father had died, so only he himself knew the matter. The old doctor made the man write to his brother making an 17 and enclosing （附寄） a 18 . In the post office, the man dropped the letter into the mail box. As the letter disappeared, the man 19 into tears. “Thank you, doctor,” he said, “I think I’m all right now.” And he 20 .
1. A. done B. thought C. announced D. expected
2. A. lost B. care C. advise D. heard
3. A. built B. formed C. repaired D. damaged
4. A. difficult B. easy C. foolish D. shy
5. A. long B. often C. much D. soon
6. A. unusual B. harmful C. precious D. unkind
7. A. ahead B. away C. down D. off
8. A. still B. even C. only D. such
9. A. sense B. brain C. weight D. feeling
10. A. shown B. explained C. offered D. expressed
11. A. asking B . telling C. requiring D. setting
12. A. strange B. serious C. various D. much
13. A. signs